Thursday 4 November 2010

Quality Control

Time to be serious today I think. After spending about 10 minutes throwing paper around my room to find the PA2 for Project Management, I finally found it and looked at what I had to do for the presentation. One of the things was Quality Control & Assurance so that's what I'm going to write about today. However first of all I must start with a random story since my stories are pretty awesome as I think our readers will agree.

On Tuesday I went to the comedy night which occurs every two weeks in the Student Union bar. There Jason Manford's younger brother Colin hosts the night as a series of comedians do some, well, comedy. Now every time previously I've had to sit right at the back on top of the pool tables which doesn't really help the bottom as it's nearly 3 hours long sat in the most uncomfortable position ever. This week however I sat quite near the front. One comedian spotted my Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles shirt, congratulated me on being awesome and then invited me to stand up and show it off. Then this female comedian (or comedienne) got on stage and mentioned Blue Peter. Cue me showing off my Blue Peter card during the 'Beer Break'. The cool points I got...

Anyway, Quality Control. Here's a little video and then I'll explain why it's so important.


Yes I realise it's not exactly related to games but it's McDonalds and everyone knows what that is. Pedro Bear is known to hang around outside at peak times of Happy Meal sales. Without Quality Control then an end product would end up being really bad and the consumer wouldn't like it. It's quite clear that the iPhone 4 didn't have Quality Control since it was (and still is) really faulty. Although a few million idiots still went out and bought one, one being my uncle who works at Nintendo. Quality Control can happen during the product's development after a prototype has been created. A group of people then test the product to ensure that it works as it should and then it will go back into development to iron out the bugs. Which of course is cruel really, the scream ants make when you iron them... (joke!).

Quality Control is crucial to making a great product and a great game. It's a shame that at Activision the testers aren't the best as everyone knows that all Call of Duty games are flawed. Now I leave you with a funny picture but first a note (related to the picture actually) - we have a Quality Control team here on the blog. After we have written a post and send it to be published, a small group of internet gremlin-elf hybrids read through and see if the post is good enough to go onto the site since we have very high standards here. We will also be hiring them to be the script editors for the new hit movie about us. Here is a poster for the movie:
The set-to-be award winning movie, The Blog, is coming soon.
Edit: OK. We've just jumped by 100 hits in about 24 hours. If we can hit 500 by the end of Friday I'll see if I can spruce up a trailer for The Blog.

Dan

1 comment:

  1. It doesn't matter if the projects you posted are not related to game, as long as they are related to project management concepts and techniques. You can learn a lot from "Grand Design" on Channel 4, cooking programme, and of course "The Apprentice". McDonald's quality control is a good example - and I'd be intrigued by how they actually do it. Would you be able to find out more information?

    We'll cover quality control later this semester. But it's great that you have started digging. Well done.

    ReplyDelete