Wednesday 24 November 2010

Great Expectations

"Oh bugger guys, this blog counts towards our mark for Project Management. We'd better do loads of posts quickly so Yuwei doesn't notice," said the members of the other groups while Ryan, Liam and Dan sat in their thrones basking in the glory of winning awards, releasing hit books and movies. The failure of these other groups is that each post contains a timestamp of when their posts were created meaning that their cover-up hasn't quite worked. Somewhat like a criminal thinking they've got away with theft but their passport fell out of their pocket at the scene of the crime (I tend to come up with completely unrelated analogies, as Liam said in the post below - I am crazy).

Last week in the lecture, each of us were asked to come up with an example of a failed project. Since then another has occurred, and I can tie this in to the industry. I ordered a Christmas present for my 11 year old brother on Amazon on the 13th November. Amazon said "this will be with you between the 17th and 19th" which I was happy with since I was going home on the 19th so could take it with me. The problem is I never received it until the 22nd. That was after when I expected and so my plan of taking it home couldn't go ahead. If this had happened next month instead then that would mean my brother wouldn't get his present until the end of January.

As I said I can tie this into the industry, more specifically Ruffian Games and Microsoft. Microsoft set Ruffian a deadline for Crackdown 2 and as they got closer to that deadline Ruffian had to outsource the game. If Ruffian didn't receive the things that the outsourced company were doing when they expected then the game would miss it's release. This did happen and so Keys to the City was introduced as DLC a month later, a similar thing happening with more online modes recently released for it. To me that is a failed project because what was initially was going to be one big package has been split into three.

Everyone's favourite bloggers at the premiere of Three Guy and their Blog
Dan

1 comment:

  1. You are right, Dan - One of the reasons why blogging is an excellent way of evaluating your learning process is exactly because all entries are time-stamped. So I can see whether you've done your homework on time and how much learning materials you've absorbed.

    I think the projects you mentioned are very relevant. Indeed, time is key issue in project management - many projects failed because they were unable to deliver on time.

    ReplyDelete