Wednesday 27 October 2010

Master of the Semi-Colon?

*Opens folder, sees the homework wasn't just to find salaries but also to blog, turns around and gets typing*

Since I was about 7 all I've wanted to do was make games. Actually no, that's not strictly true. I wanted to make games but I also wished to be an author, doctor and a milkman. In terms of doctor I've never come close to achieving that although I did train to be a milkman but decided it wasn't for me. And in my spare time I write scripts - most of them fan scripts for Doctor Who and a piss-take of Skins that went too far and ended up being my own series which I'm now working on writing. But back to games. Where have I got with that so far? I've dabbled in Flash, Game Maker and RPG Maker but never really made anything that stood out. And by stood out I mean half-decent.

I've always had a keen interest in drawing. Although since getting an E in Art at GCSE I've given up somewhat on that being a career plan. Seeing the 3D modelling side of Art & Graphics has made me think that maybe the 3D modelling is where I want to go. Having said that I'm really interested in programming. Looking at the job lists over on gamesindustry.biz, there are all kinds of programmers who make Physics Engines to Animation and even Sound. Rather than having just one area to focus on though it seems that being all-round good at everything is the best way to go.

Having seen videos of tours around several developer's studios it seems that being a part of this industry in any capacity is fun. Some have workout rooms, Epic Games have a slide, it's all very fun. The same with the Animation industry. I watched a documentary about Pixar a few months ago and they have scooters to travel around the offices with. While the work is hard, there is certainly a lot there to ease the mind and ensure that in a cut-throat industry everyone is feeling good.

The Slide at Epic Games
Dan;

No comments:

Post a Comment