Friday 29 October 2010

Impulse Buying

I don't know whether this actually covers Project Management or not but in terms of games I've become somewhat of an impulse buyer lately. Once upon a time I had no money and no job (OK I had that one job for six months but I didn't even work the full hour so got like £2 a week), but here at Uni I've been given about £60 a week to live off. And when I don't drink and food stuff costs less than £20 then I'm getting £40 spare, a tenner of that at most being spent on going to the Student Union bar thanks to cheap drinks.

So Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 were recently part of a Steam sale and I got them both for under £8 together. Instant grab, even though my brother has the Xbox versions. Gears of War, preowned without a single scratch or mark on the disc - £3. Final Fantasy XIII - £20. All pretty good deals. And this final one was when I went into Manchester today.

After finishing Programming and making a Pokémon card for Ziga Zigha, I went into the Manchestershire in search for a sci-fi shop. Since I don't know the area well I checked on Google Maps before hand to be sure of where to go. I went to the ticket office at the station but it was shut so I had to travel the whole 5 minutes and pay over double of what I would have paid just because some guy decides 2.30 is a good time for a lunch break. Walked for another 15 minutes and I end up in a rather rough area of Manchester, the shop has closed down, some Spanish kid tries to mug me so I do the typical English thing and shout loudly before punching his 14 year old face in (I kid, but he did try to mug me) so I quickly nip back to Primark where I'm nice and safe apart from the calling voice of the gaming T-shirts. "Come and buy us Dan. We're really cheap. Bow-ties are just £2 and you know that bow-ties are cool." But I don't want a bow-tie and besides I can't see them. "Oh. Look at these retro gaming shirts then." That's me £6 out of pocket just because I like the look of a Pacman shirt.

So the conclusion of this little trip out saw me head into HMV where I go downstairs to find what is essentially Game or Gamestation and then an area dedicated to customers to play games. I managed to pull myself away but instead ended up in the Xbox 360 aisle where Saint's Row 2 stared at me. I stared back, then looked over to Fable III and Rock Band 3. Then over to Pokémon on the DS. Then back at Saint's Row 2. Yes I bought it. Call it impulse.

In Soviet Russia, impulse buys you.

Dan

2 comments:

  1. Project management can be so broadly defined, at so many levels and from so many perspectives. The materials you share here can be linked with budget planning and management, which we will cover later this semester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your this post while searching for some related information on blog search...Its a good post..keep posting and update the information. ruay หวย

    ReplyDelete